Prevention is better and certainly cheaper than curing an ailment that could be avoided by a simple practice of mindfulness each day. This is especially true when prevention can be as easy, fast and beneficial as stretching for a few minutes daily. No gimmicks, no hidden secrets, no miracle cures—just simple, accessible stretches you can do by yourself, anywhere.
Whether you are using the stretches as a warm-up before a rigorous work-out or run or incorporating it as the only movement routine to de-stress and energize, it not only enhances circulation but also minimizes the risk of injuries. Learn about the benefits of stretching for just five minutes each day and what exercises and yoga poses you can do for your whole body to reach your optimal wellness.
5 Reason Why Stretching Is the Antidote to Imbalances and Stress
You may have noticed that many people habitually stand on one leg, which creates tension and tightness in the other leg, knee, and hip due to uneven weight distribution. Others hunch up and tense their shoulders while working on their computers or simply walking around, producing imbalances, headaches, and aches in the body. There are many other unconscious habits that strain your body in various way. You can counteract and repair the effects of many of these patterns by sticking to a simple routine of stretching for a few minutes. Here are some powerful benefits of incorporating a daily stretch in your schedule:
- Reduced pain: Stretching loosens and strengthens the muscles, alleviating musculoskeletal pain and averting future pain.
- Enhanced performance: It improves flexibility, range of motion and fine muscle coordination and prevents accidents from occurring.
- Increased blood flow: It decreases muscle soreness and recovery span by enhancing circulation and increasing blood flow to the muscles and the brain.
- Improved posture: It creates muscular strength and balance and better body alignment, improving your movement and posture.
- Less stress: It reduces stress by relaxing the muscles, which tense up during moments of emotional and physical strain.
10 Stretches a Day Keep the Doctor Away
Think of how much time you spend on social media each day or many other repetitive tasks during 24 hours. If you do not know your cellphone usage but reach for your phone a lot, try an app that monitors your media activities and calculates the total time. If you are like most internet users, you may be shocked by the amount of time that is spent on your handheld device.
Instead, take just five minutes from your day to perform the following 10 exercises and give yourself a pleasant surprise by the results. Make sure you integrate proper breathing technique throughout the stretches. Do not bounce or persist with a stretch if it causes or worsens an existing pain. This set of static and dynamic stretches offer a versatile, full-body range. Enjoy them any time during the day or evening and spend 30 seconds on each.
- Uttanasana or the Forward Fold can be done anywhere, and its powerful reach—hamstrings, hips, lower back, chest, and shoulders—makes it a prime stretch ideal for anyone with any level of fitness.
- Downward Dog is a foundational yoga pose with a myriad of benefits. It stretches the hamstrings, calves, shoulders, and hands, besides providing overall body strength.
- Cat-Cow pose is easy to do and modifiable for all levels. It stretches a large set of muscle groups: neck, shoulders, spine, back, hips, stomach and chest.
- Seated Twist can be performed by people of all levels and targets the lower back, spine, and glutes.
- Cobra pose can help with sciatica pain and asthma. It improves digestion and targets the abdomen, glutes, and shoulders.
- Bridge with Leg Extensions is as easy as lying on your back with bent knees and lifting your hips. It targets the core, glutes, and quads.
- Chest or Heart Openers can be done using a door, desk or dresser, and they stretch the chest, biceps, and deltoids.
- Runner’s Stretch is excellent if you tend to sit a lot. It targets the lower back, hamstrings, hip flexors and calves.
- Pancake Stretch works the hip extensors and adductors and can be modified for all levels from the beginner to the advanced.
- Seated and Standing Triceps’ Stretches can be done sitting or standing anywhere and require no tools or extra space whatsoever. They target the shoulders, triceps, and deltoids.
With these 10 exercises, you can reap long-term rewards of a stress and pain free life through a daily practice of stretching combined with Pranayama breath work. These elements are integrated into the core philosophy of Amrit Ocean Resort and Residences, embodied in the Five Pillars of Wellness — mindfulness, nutrition, fitness, relaxation, and sleep. Learn more about the Amrit philosophy or wellness and bespoke treatments, such as outdoor rhythm massage, Aayush hydrothermal area, inhalation therapy chamber, aromatherapy, and bath butler service, by visiting www.amritocean.com.