PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION
Direct and organize the Food & Beverage function within the hotel in order to maintain high standards of food and
beverage quality, service and merchandising to maximize profits. Participate in total hotel management as a member of the hotel Executive Committee.
- Plan and direct the functions of administration and planning of the Food and Beverage Department to meet the
daily needs of operation.
- Clearly describe, assign and delegate responsibility and authority for the operation of the various food and
beverage sub-departments, i.e., room service, restaurants, banquets, kitchens, stewards, etc.
- Develop, implement and monitor schedules for the operation of all restaurants and bars to achieve a profitable
- Participate with the chef, outlet managers, and catering managers in the creation of attractive merchandising
menus designed to attract predetermined customer market.
- Implement effective control of food, beverage and labor costs among all sub-departments.
- Assist the area managers in establishing and achieving predetermined profit objectives and desired standards of
quality food, service, cleanliness, merchandising and promotion.
- Regularly review and evaluate the degree of customer acceptance of the individual restaurants and banquet
service. Recommend to management new operating and marketing policies whenever declining or constant
sales imply dissatisfaction by the customers, a material change in the make-up of the customer market or a
change in the competitive environment.
- Develop (with the aid of sub-department heads) operating tools necessary and incidental to modern
management principles, i.e. budgeting, forecasting purchase specifications, recipes, portion specifications, menu
abstracts, food production control, job descriptions, etc.
- Continuously evaluate the performance and encourage improvement of the personnel in the food and beverage
department. Plan and administer a training and development program within the department which will provide
well-trained associated at all levels and permit advancement for those persons qualified and interested in career
development. Oversee departmental matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil
- Is responsible for the administration all applicable Amrit Ocean Resort and Residences Standard Operating Procedures.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the
successful performance of this position. Associates with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to
and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the
business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meeting is required.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the
following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the
manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Monitor food and beverage activities and troubleshoot problems.
- Assist/Oversee F&B training programs, including Alcohol Awareness training, Proper Food handling training.
- Responsible for the hiring, training, and direction of new department associates.
- Responsible for assisting in associate termination.
- Participate in the Manager on Duty program.
- Ensure food and beverage quality standards are complied with and that all health and quality procedures are
- Coordinate activities with other hotel departments in order to facilitate increased levels of communication and
- Ensure the timely completion of performance appraisals.
- Responsible for proposing capital improvement needs for property.
- Take every opportunity to amaze the guests
- Ensures all guests are being treated in an efficient and courteous manner and that all Amrit Ocean Resort and Residences standards are being applied.
- Be an enthusiastic, helpful and positive member of the team.
- Be professional, responsible and mature in conduct and behavior.
- Be understanding of, encouraging to and friendly with all co-workers.
- Be self motivated and use time wisely.
- Maintain open line of communications with each department.
- Communicate pertinent information.
- Respond positively to new ideas.
- Openly accept critical/developmental.
- Report to work on time.
- Be available to work a flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
- Maintain effective communication through the use of meetings, memorandums.
- Be available to help other departments in emergency situations.
- Perform other assignments as directed by the General Manager.
- Adhere to all work rules, procedures and policies established by the company including, but not limited too
those contained in the associate handbook.
Safety and Security:
- Be knowledgeable of policies regarding emergency procedures and security concerns.
- Be knowledgeable about state regulations regarding health policies.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Considerable knowledge of complex mathematical calculations and computer accounting programs. Budgetary
analysis capabilities required.
- Ability to access and accurately input information using a moderately complex computer system.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, come of whom will require high levels of
patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- Most tasks are performed in a team environment with the associate acting as a team leader. There is minimal
- Extensive knowledge of the hotel, its services and facilities.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights,
occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the
following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, Equal Pay Act,
Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, NLRA.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental
systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10 degrees F) and kitchens
(+110 degrees F), possibly for one hour or more.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the
working day. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Ability to distinguish product quality, taste, texture and presentations and observe preparation.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in a limited space and to reach other departments of the hotel on a
- Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs occasionally.
- May be required to lift trays of food or food items weighing p to 30 lbs. occasionally.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. on occasion.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill occasional cleaning/inspection tasks.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and
hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Hearing, smelling, tasting and visual ability to observe and distinguish product quality and detect signs of emergency situations.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding
machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly
and other office equipment as needed.
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Several years in overall Food & Beverage operations as well as management experience.
Culinary, sales and service background required. Bilingual or multilingual preferred.
Licenses or Certificates:
Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
All associates must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Amrit Ocean Resort and Residences Standards.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an associated in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.